Friday, March 12, 2010

A Difficult Day 12

Today was not the best day. Is it bad when I think I've already hit a wall with PCP on only day 12? The jumping rope this morning did not go well at all. I think it had to do with my lack of energy (I didn't sleep well last night) and the fact that I'm still struggling with finding the right rope. My new rope keeps getting twisted no matter what I do, and so I went back to my old rope today. But it's way too light and I wasn't used to it anymore. So towards the end I think I was stopping about every 10 jumps because I kept smacking myself. I bought a new jump rope today and this is it. If I still have trouble I need to just pick one and work with it. I think this newest one is a good mix between the other two so I have high hopes!

The strength exercisers were not my best either. I strongly dislike squats. I get so bored of doing that repetitve motion that gives my legs such a burn. But I still do the max reps on those because they're not actually that difficult, just boring and slightly painful. I still don't have an option for the incline pull ups. I know I need to get moving on that! I'm hoping once I get back to school, the gym will have something I can use. The push ups were ok, I think I'm improving with the bars. I definitely could not do the max reps on those though. I could barely do the minimum! It's hard because just when I'm able to do the max reps on an exercise, they're upped so that it's a never ending struggle! I know that's on purpose though, so you're constantly challenging your muscles. The curl ups and Davincis were ok. My lack of energy made them more difficult than usual. And the sit ups were the biggest challenge of all. First of all, I hate sit ups. Yes, I used the H word. I have the hardest time keeping my feet on the ground. I'm been bracing my feet against my bed stand for support. I don't know if this is cheating or not, but if I don't do that, I really can't do a proper sit up after only a few reps.

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm keeping the blog honest, and I had to share my frustration. But enough with the negative. Now on to the positive. I think that it's ok that I hit a wall today. In fact I think that'll happen a lot throughout these 90 days. The important part is to push through it and continue on. And I can already tell my workouts are paying off! We did side planks in yoga yesterday, and they were so much easier than usual! I know I owe a lot of that to my dreaded sit ups. So that is why I think that I might grow to love all these ab exercisers that I dislike so much right now, or at least appreciate them more. And even though the diet is stressful (figuring out my meals) and time consuming (preparing my meals) at this point, I know it'll get easier as I get better at cooking and become more creative. The past few nights I've gone to bed a little hungry and instead of getting something to eat like I normally would, I just go to sleep. It's not that bad.

And reading all the other PCPr's blogs helps so much! I can always count on Ren's blog for a laugh, and Brian's for support and inspiration! So thanks everyone and please keep writing!

4 comments:

  1. Don't go to high on those sit-ups, you should be doing a very small "roll up the abs like a newspaper" You shouldn't have any problem keeping the feet on the ground. Don't brace your feet with a bed or something.

    If a person jacks up really high in a sit-up, it actually becomes a lame and unsafe lower back exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, It's good you are keeping the blog honest. Transparency will help us all through the project.
    Patrick’s tip regarding sit-ups is a good one. I also in the past used the "H" word to describe sit-ups and I guess we can all see the result of that! :) Anyway, when I do sit-ups now I literally visualize my abs rolling like a newspaper and it helps my form considerably.
    Thank you for your support also and I'm glad we are all here to help each other.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. duvide Jumpropes manufactures quality jump ropes which don't twist. We also have a lot of skipping techniques in video loops to show you how to use them...

    Frank
    duvide Jumpropes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was trying to think of something inspiring to say...but whatever. Sometimes it's hard. What to do? You just crank on, and then it's over. And then you feel good the next hour/day/week and you think back to today and go "Yeah, right, whatever" so don't stress it. No need to be happy and positive ALL the time; that gets old too!

    ReplyDelete