Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 30- LOST



Lost: My rhythm.
Last seen: Yesterday morning 8:20 a.m.
Reward: As many egg whites as you desire

So yes, sadly my rhythm seems to have disappeared. I first noticed this tragedy when I attempted to jumprope after the drive back from USC this afternoon. I was exhausted on the drive and semi-dreading the workout, but once I got back to my apartment, I gained a burst of energy and decided to go for it. Now, maybe it's because I always do my workouts in the morning and so the whole sweating-in-the-afternoon thing threw me off, but I could not jumprope to save my life. Seriously, it was absolute misery making it through those 1300 jumps. I sincerely hope it was the combination of my lack of sleep and the different time of jumping, rather than a sad trick of fate and suddenly all my jumping rope "skills" have decided to disappear for the rest of PCP. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

As much as I hated this afternoon workout, I think it was a good lesson. I'll admit, if I didn't have this blog to report to, I probably would've skipped it. The thought did enter my head, "I haven't missed a workout yet, what's one day?" But I thought some more, and decided there was nothing holding me back from doing the workout once I got back to the apartment except my lame excuses, so I should just do it. So I did. And it was a good learning experience. I know there will be days in my life when I will simply not be able to fit in a workout in the morning before I begin my daily activities. So it's important to be flexible with the times of my workouts. But I'm not gonna lie. I really really hope I never have to do another afternoon workout ever again. NOT FUN.

So although I was only gone one night, it did throw my diet off. I ended up sharing a chocolate chip cookie with my host. We were offered the cookie for free and he told me to share it with him, and it would've been awkward to refuse. But I only had about 3 bites. The real challenge came that night. I was staying with one of my friends and after dinner she decided to make brownies. But not just any brownies. Chocolate, peanut butter, M&Ms, cream cheese brownies. Think about that for a minute. Just writing those ingredients down makes my mouth water. So they were baking these morsels of crack in front of me, and the smell was almost overpowering. But I did not have a single one. Not even a taste. I knew I didn't want that to be my indulgence and so I withstood temptation. Of course it doesn't help that my roommates at my apartment have also decided to make delicious nut brownies, but I haven't had any of those either. My will power is strong indeed. I don't want to have to rely on will power though. I hope some day (maybe by the end of PCP??) I will not feel such a strong desire to eat all these delicious baked goods. Some day.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go

    I find it a challenge to re enter the zone when I travel as well. bumps in the road

    I also find that giant temptation is easier than subtle ones. There is a book called the Screw-tape Letter by CS Lewis that explores this in brilliant detail.

    If I see you rhythm in NC I will send it back to Greenville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible temptation to sit through without touching a piece. Way to go, indeed.

    And you made the right choice with not skipping a work out. Patrick once told me the toughest part of the PCP is you own mind playing tricks on you. It was mindful to slog on! Day 30!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the definition of "will power" is just knowing, really actually truly KNOWING what you want, as opposed to what you think you need/desire/deserve/crave.
    PCP is teaching us that we don't actually, honestly want a Chocolate, peanut butter, M&Ms, cream cheese brownie. Listen to your stomach and your blood sugar and your fat and your sugar-high spinning brain and you might well come to realize it is perhaps a tad bit overkill....well okay maybe one every now and then, as a special treat!
    Anyway great job and especially excellent keeping up with the workouts. AND your jumps will come back. Sometimes rhythm needs a little holiday; pops off down the road for a movie and some popcorn. Will be back in due course though, don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i find night jumps are usually at a loss compared to in the day..

    ReplyDelete