Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 20


Wow. I had an absolutely amazing weekend. It actually made me excited about law school (which from what I hear is kind of rare). I am going on a few more law school visits in the next few weeks, but I really really loved UVA. My host was great! I ended up bringing my jump rope and resistance bands and worked out both yesterday morning and this morning. So as far as the workout portion of PCP goes, I'm still right on track.

Now on to the diet portion. I'll admit, I failed.

Failure # 1: Yesterday, I was walking around the activities fair, looking at all the different clubs UVA law offers. One was the Club for Jewish Students. When I went up and started talking to them, and they realized I was Jewish too (my dad is Jewish), they brought out a special box of goodies (separate from the delicious sweets they already had laid out on the table) and joked, "These are for the chosen ones." I could've made up a food allergy or something but I figure if I end up there next year and join that club I'll probably want to eat sweets at some point and so I shouldn't lie. And it would've felt rude to flat out refuse their kind offer, so I just had a taste of the most delicious chocolate cake. But seriously just one mouthful, that's it. Now I know these all sound like excuses for why I ate it, but I felt it was kind of necessary. And I did pass all the other sweets at ALL THE OTHER TABLES. Imagine, rows and rows of tables with sweets laid out with people all wanting you to come over, eat their food, and talk to them about thier club. It was hard, but I even withstood the ice cream sundae stand. And I threw away the oreos that came with my boxed lunch. So I might've had a slip up, but it could've been so much worse.

Failure # 2: Last night I went out to dinner with my host and 2 of her friends. We got sushi (mine had shrimp in it so at least I got some protein yesterday!) It was a blast, and afterwards they all wanted to get gelato. Walking to the gelato place, I thought about what I should do. I knew it went against PCP, but I also knew I was having a great time and didn't want to cause some sort of awkwardness by not getting any gelatto while they all did. So I got a small scoop of chocolate. And it was delicious. As I was eating I started to feel a little guilty, but then I stopped myself. I realized I was eating it, so I should just enjoy it and know that I wouldn't let this happen again.

In retrospect, the gelatto might've been easier to refuse than the "chosen sweets", but I made the decision to completely enjoy my time at UVA within reason. So while I failed on the PCP diet yesterday, I did not go crazy with the chocolate. Although it may sound like I did, trust me. My pre-PCP self would've tried a sweet at EVERY table of the activity fair AND ate an ice cream sundae. And probably would've gotten a meduim gelatto instead of a small. So I still had a PCP state of mind, even if I didn't follow it to a T.

I know my results might not be as good as they could've been this week, but it was time well spent and it was worth it. I was proud of myself for having the discipline to wake up early both days and get my workout in. I still can't imagine not doing my workouts in the morning. It truly is the best way to start the day.

This weekend made me appreciate the timing of my PCP. From observing the law school environment, it seems like it would be essential to have some sort of daily exercise regimine to keep you fit and sane amidst all the chaos of school. So by getting myself fit now, hopefully I'll have the tools to keep it up long after PCP is over.

I've enjoyed reading all the blogs I missed over the past few days. Everyone's progress pics look great!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip - sounds like you found some middle or reasonable ground. A worthy objective

    I found that I missed the comfort of being home but living in the real world and its challenges is good.

    How is your jumping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, you don't want people's first impression of you to be that you're a wet-blanket fitness freak. You made the right calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some chocolate is better than ALL chocolate. AND you did your workouts. No fail, huge success. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad to hear I didn't fail:)

    Watson-The jumps are coming along....I've yet to repeat my same 396 feat, but I'm working on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to PCP land! Kill it this week!

    ReplyDelete