Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 58-A Reality Check

I wasn't going to blog today, but then something just happened a few hours ago, that compelled me to sit down and write this. Without giving too many details, (although I'm pretty positive no one knows anyone who I'm talking about) one of my roommates was found this afternoon unconscious and unresponsive, due to an excessive consumption of alcohol. The campus police came, the fire department came, the EMS people came with the ambulance, it was quite the commotion. About two hours later, she finally agreed to go to the hospital and my other roommates went with her.

I'm not even that close with my roommate, but the whole thing really shook me up. It's the last day of classes today (LDOC baby!) and so everyone is, of course, getting completely wasted. But this situation is a clear example of how alcohol can be so dangerous if abused. I've never been too much of a drinker and situations like this make me thankful for that. I know most people can be totally fine and never abuse alcohol, but for those few that do, it is so devastating. This isn't the first time this has happened with my roommate, and sadly it probably won't be the last. But it definitely is sobering for anyone to witness.

After everyone finally left the apartment, I sat down and meditated. It was pretty difficult to calm my mind, but it definitely helped me focus and process everything. I've been pretty consistent about meditating for 10 minutes a day the last week or so. I'm hoping it will become as much of a habit as working out by the end of PCP.

Tonight, I had a reality check that things can get serious really quickly when it comes to alcohol. Of course, it's not like I'll never drink again. But I think I will be extra mindful when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment