Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 51

I struggled to get through the workout this morning. I don't know exactly why today was especially difficult. I slept fine last night. It was mainly a mental block, rather than physical limitations. I made the classic mistake of looking ahead on the workout sheet, rather than just focusing on what was immediately ahead of me. Now I do this almost every day and it's not that big of a deal, but the increased number of sets today on nearly everything sort of psyched me out. I completed everything in my usual time, but I did not get the same endorphin rush I usually do. It felt like more of a task than a joy. And usually I really enjoy my workouts. I figure this will happen time to time though. Even on the days I don't enjoy the workout, I still appreciate what I'm doing for my body.

A recent shopping trip this weekend helped me appreciate all the effort I put into PCP. There was a mega sale at Banana Republic and I bought a graduation dress and a few other things. Now with girls, there are two kinds of attitudes when buying clothes. Dread, because you feel bad about yourself and think nothing will fit, or excitement because you feel great and know that the clothes you want should fit well. Luckily I was in the latter attitude. Everything I tried on fit perfectly and it was a huge boost for my self esteem to not have to struggle into any dresses. The things I wanted fit! Of course, it put on some added pressure post-PCP to keep the weight off so the clothes I bought will continue to fit, but I'm confident I can do it.

Saw an interesting article today in the Science section of the NY Times. All about the media's role in promoting the junk food culture of kids. No wonder it's so hard to eat healthy in the U.S.!


5 comments:

  1. Day 51? Time to enter the PCP Valley! Expect more begrudging workouts for the next few weeks. And just do them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the point in the project where I need to go out and buy new clothes, because normally I loathe shopping. I HATE trying things on right now, and pants shopping? Forget it. Although with all the leg exercises we do, that particular hurdle may not get easier.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those leg exercises will actually make your legs look better than ever! That was actually one of my favorite parts of the shopping trip~trying on dresses that showed off my legs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's hard to enjoy the workouts. I'm not a fan of shoulder days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is great power in doing what I know is right. Sometimes it feels great, sometimes...well...not so much. I have never done anything meaningful and worthwhile that was not hard or demanding at some point. That is where character is found and retained.

    Go Team GO

    ReplyDelete