Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 42

So I forgot to mention a very important detail about my Friday night! The reason my traveling schedule was so wonky this past week (flying to Nashville Wednesday night and returning Friday afternoon) was because I wanted to make it back to my sorority's formal Friday night. I'm not the biggest participator in my XO activities, but I was not about to miss formal. It is my favorite function and it's also my last function as I'm a senior. Plus, I love my dress. I got it for my senior prom in high school and I have worn it to every formal function I've had since. So last night was the fourth time I got to don this baby. And while I always feel like a million bucks in it, this year I felt especially confident, thanks to PCP. Usually about a month or two before formal, I go into depravation mode where I do intense diets and workouts just to fit into the dress. But this year, there was no panicking that the dress would be a smidge too tight. It was a great feeling not having to suck in my stomach at all during the event! haha This made me aware of the little changes that are already taking place in my physique due to PCP. Sometimes it's hard to see the progress, but then examples like this come along and make it apparent.

Now I know we are not yet at the 45-day-half-way-mark, but I have a super busy week coming up and I wanted to devote some time to blogging about my thoughts thus far on PCP. I looked back at my goals from day 1 and was happy to see I'm already well on my way to accomplishing most of them. To recap they were:

-be able to do a headstand in yoga class

-have a better grip on my addiction to chocolate

-be able to jumprope without feeling extremely clumsy (and winded after only a few sets!)

-have a greater appreciation for what my body is capable of doing

The only one I don't think I've made too much progress on is the headstand. I haven't even tried it in a long time. I'm going to try to focus more on that this month.

Along with the pride of accomplishing my goals, I've noticed some other benefits of PCP. I now cannot imagine not jumping rope and working out in the morning. Yes, there are days when I am still not too enthused to be getting out of bed, but the way it makes me feel for the rest of the day is worth it. I never knew this side of myself before: the side that enjoys continuing a workout program past the first week! While food is still a semi-struggle, it's more about the social aspect of it than me not being able to resist a piece of cake or something. I'm still working on being okay with not really eating at social events and not feeling awkward about it. Last night I went out with friends to some bars, and didn't drink at all. I didn't have any desire to drink; my friends wanted me to, but it wasn't worth it. I still had a lot of fun! Although I did promise them I would drink at least once before graduation. I feel like that's a must for the end of the year parties! So we'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Yes, there are days when I wish I could eat whatever I want or skip a workout, but then I look in the mirror or think about how great I feel, and realize the sacrifices are worth it. I am so glad I signed up for PCP. It's great to not have to worry whether I'll be in shape this summer; I know I will be!


7 comments:

  1. First - you do a great deal for that dress. Awesome. I can relate to the lack of tension about cloths fitting anymore. Now everything fits, I am wearing the shorts I got on our honeymoon and that was 18 years ago (I think?)

    You were also smart to write down your goals. Mine have been less specific, yet I feel like I am well on my way.

    I also share your great feelings about what I am doing.

    Go Team Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above is from Watson - it took my wifes account info

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your progress and attitude -- and awesome dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get you in a headstand in 3 mins, even over the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really Patrick!? I'm gonna hold you to that next time we're both on gchat!!

    ReplyDelete