Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 50



Our new diets have added some interesting additions to my day. Protein for breakfast? For me that means adding some tasty shrimp into my veggie egg scramble. Quite good. But carbs pre-workout? That I am not enjoying so much. I'll admit I only had about half of the 50 grams and I definitely noticed it made me feel a little sluggish during the workout. And then with the yogurt and egg post-workout, I only had the egg. Since I basically wake up, jump rope, do my workout, shower and then eat breakfast, it's a lot of food to eat before I even start my day, if I eat everything alloted. So, Patrick is it okay to go a little lighter on the pre-workout carbs and maybe skip the yogurt if I'm not hungry?

Our recent email about carbs made me think about my own history with whole wheat foods. I've grown up on whole wheat bread as long as I can remember. Whenever I went over to a friend's house as a child and they had white bread, it was always such a treat! Of course now, that stuff kind of grosses me out, but probably only because I'm so used to whole wheat.


Growing up I loved having sweet cereals for breakfast like Lucky Charms and in late elementary school, one summer, my mom made me a deal. She said everyday I ate whole wheat bran flakes (with soy milk) she would give me a dollar. I don't think I ever actually saw the money, but it took about a week for me to fall in love with the bran and forget about the charms. Ever since then whole wheat bran flakes have been my breakfast staple. I switched from soy milk to almond milk about a year ago, but other than that, still the same!

As far as other whole wheat options go, I only eat whole wheat bagels, whole wheat pasta, etc. Basically if there's an option of a food in whole wheat, I'll take it. So at least I've always been on track with one element of the PCP diet!

Now, salty foods is another matter. I was recently informed by Patrick that my beloved Morning Star chicken nuggets are too salty to be considered healthy! Oh NO! I was addicted to that stuff pre-PCP and it will probably be a treat post-PCP.

3 comments:

  1. Have have Quorn Chick Nuggets? Pre-PCP I would have them once a week. These things are the bomb.

    http://www.quorn.us/products/Chik'n_Nuggets.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat clean and healthy for a few weeks and try one of those Morningstar things, and all you'll taste is salt and chemicals. After that, like your Lucky Charms, you won't have any trouble giving them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Charms:so. good. At least I have SOME hope of being able to eat the occassional bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. Not too much better than the old LC, but slightly (barely?) more healthful...

    ReplyDelete