Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 53


Hmmm, workouts have been going better since Tuesday. Now that I kind of expect a higher level of difficulty (not that it wasn't plenty hard before!), I 'm less taken aback by the increasing amount of time I devote to the workout.

I was inspired by Ren's "confession" blog of sorts where he admitted what he cheats on in terms of PCP. I was going to mention today's incident anyways, but that was a good prompter as well.

So, today after I finished lunch, I had the biggest hankering for something sweet. Not fruit, not yogurt, not sugar free gum, only chocolate-y goodness would do. And that would be the cake that's been sitting out for almost a week now. I figured I would have one bite, it would taste old, and that would be that. Well, I must say, it was better than I ever imagined. The frosting was still perfect, the cake the perfect moist consistency and I had 3 more bites. And then...I stopped. Yes, it occurred to me that I could take a whole piece (or more) and make it my indulgence, but the whole point of an indulgence is to do it on your terms, not from giving in to a sweet tooth attack.

While this could be looked at as a weak point where I fell off the diet (which I am aware it was), I prefer to see it as a sign of progress. In a way I think it's more realistic to have a taste of those tantalizing foods every once in awhile rather than act like they don't exist. It's good for me to practice having only a few bites, and then stopping, rather than stuffing my face. That has been where I always fail in the past. So instead of freaking out about what those 4 bites of chocolate cake are going to do to my PCP progress, I'm going to recognize that this was a rare occurrence and celebrate the fact that I didn't go into my usual chocolate frenzy!! I hope this doesn't downgrade me from a blackbelt!

In other news, I've started focusing on my yoga practice again. Last week, I did not attend a single class (which is rare) and so this week I have made it a point to go. I've been 3 times already and really appreciate what it does for my body and mind. I'm really looking forward to this summer when I can go to the yoga studio I attended over Spring Break.

I realized the other day that in my halfway-point goal reflection blog, I forgot to mention one very important goal I made. That was to have a regular meditation practice. Of course, it's been the hardest one to keep. But I've really focused on it the past few days, and am working on making it a daily thing.

6 comments:

  1. The high level of mental health displayed in this post brought tears to my eyes. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely progress. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've strung together two days in a row of sitting! Just like the PCP, if we do it consistently it will become a habit. And what a wonderful habit to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few bites of cake and a renewed meditation practice? That is a victory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job taking control back from the darkness

    That is real spiritual pay dirt - and real life. I fall down and I have to get back up. The quicker the better.

    Go Team go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What everyone else said: not a failure, a huge success! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete